Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Optimus Prime - Truck Mode



I'll start off slow here.  This image was published a couple of years back in the Transformers Vault, so it's kind of old news, but I just recently got the greenlight to post the image, and talk about it a little bit.

Now this job was so much fun, it was in the middle of my first assignment from Hasbro, Inc. directly, doing inspiration art for a new direction for the brand overall.  They used a bunch of artists, under the guidance of Aaron Archer and the lovely Eric Siebenaler, to really just try a little of everything.

By that I mean I did a one shot render at each assigned character, then moved on to something else.  Sometimes I did a 'from scratch' character, like Ironhide, or I did a second look, rendering in my style a character pass by someone else.  (Generally the great Emiliano Santalucia, or ideas from Siebenaler or Archer themselves.)

Or I just did the vehicle/alt version of a character.  In this case, the truck mode for Optimus Prime.  The request was to keep him a long nose, as he now appears in the film series, and if I remember right, that was just about it.  Of course I ventured the question. "I don't have to put those flames on him, do I?"  But I did keep in line with the movie logic of the long nose, giving him more mass to work with in robot mode, and we added in a roof fairing over the extended cab to build it out even more.

And that's about it for this one, I ended my work on Optimus with just the vehicle mode, and you can find the bot mode printed in the Transformers Vault book.





If you're a Facebook user, I invite you to enter into the Like Drive I have going on for the next two weeks, on the Bad Flip Productions page.  Participants can win some free art from me; here's the announcement:


For two weeks, I'll be running a Like Drive on the Facebook page.  It's been up for two years, and I've done NOTHING to promote it, other than letting it exist. Give me a break, I'd much rather being drawing than marketing!

All the rules are posted in the picture, which will be the cover art on the Facebook page for the next two weeks.  Recommend the page to five friends, (or you could just share the page on your timeline!) say you did so in the comment section of the above cover photo, and you're entered!

Here's a helpful link to get you started!

Facebook Page!

And stay tuned to the blog for the next couple of weeks, I got the green light to post a few more 'Aligned Continuity' Transformers concepts.  But be prepared for the watermarks.  It's the only way I can get these fully rendered images out on the internet...

No comments: