Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Quick Render - Superman


Superman.  All do-goody'n'sh*t.  I've really not drawn Superman much in my entire life, despite the Superman the Movie poster being the one comic book related image I had on my wall as a kid.  And I played the hell out of the Atari 2600 game too...these days, I love Alex Ross's Supes so much, I think I have the attitude of 'why bother, it's perfect' when it comes to doing him professionally.  Same with Drew's Indy Jones, and Adi's Iron Man.


On to the rendering - and it may seem like a small thing, and I think many other artists avoid - is that hard to define area where chin and jawline meet the throat.  I think I overcame it with how Dorothy is portrayed in my Oz painting (finishing touches this week!) but it's not something I've done digitally much.  Of course, there's a whole lot more Supes left...!  As with the others, I approached it simply, moving quickly over all the parts, and building it up.  Path Tool of course to define the chest emblem, but freehand the rest of the way.


Again, I think the overall pose is lacking in personality, but I'm happy that a secondary goal I had sort of came through; a small effort to evoke Christopher Reeve's portrayal. I mean, I had that dude's picture on my wall all those years ago...

No comments: