Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Mer-Kitties - Drawing


From Air to Sea, the Mer-Kitties are getting their swim on.  I'm pretty excited about this one, it's going to let me really test myself with creating a rich background with colors, by placing minimal lines that I usually use as shapes and guides.  I might even experiment blending the mermaid's tail into the background as well, trying to create a sense of flow.

But on a technical standpoint, I lost my way a little with the penciling, I had to erase and redraw quite a bit, so some areas came out a little mushy.  Obviously, I'll be digitally inking this, so it doesn't matter, but that's one of my weaknesses; I know that this piece won't be the final image, just a step along the way, so I tend to rush through, and at the end, there's parts that I wish I had taken more time with.  As a stand alone piece, and as something that exists in reality, unlike the final digital image that will only exist as a print, I usually end up with good drawings, rather than great drawings.

It's something I'm working on...

1 comment:

Becky said...

I think you have a great style. The mer-kitties are definitely unique and cute. Keep going with it as it would make a great cartoon, story, coloring book, or movie for kids.